Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Oh the thriller!

 Psychological thriller...! That is the genre I decided to choose for my opening scene. I did some research on the genre to find out more about its components, and examples of good movies/ shows within it. So, what even is a psychological thriller? Before I continue, I'd like to mention that psychological thriller is a subgenre of the genre thriller. During my research, I found a masterclass article that stated that psychological thrillers usually contain a mysterious plot that can incorporate the concept of mental illness, crime, morality, unreliable narrators, etc. The article also stated that this subgenre has 3 elements to make it good: Familiar elements, an unreliable narrator, and major plot twists. Now that I had better knowledge of the genre, I decided to furthermore research a show and movie within this genre.

You

You is a psychological thriller, starring Penn Badgley, which is about a man that does whatever it takes to get with the person he desires. The show was made in 2018 and currently has 3 seasons. The show You meets the 3 elements stated by masterclass required to make a good psychological thriller. This show has an unreliable narrator (Joe Goldberg), familiar elements (taking place in everyday locations like a house or library), and major plot twists (his lover also being a murderer). This show would be a good choice for inspiration for my film opening.

Don't Worry Darling

Don't Worry Darling is a psychological thriller, starring Harry Styles and Florence Pugh, which is about a wife living the perfect life finding out the disturbing secrets that her husband has been hiding. This movie was made in 2022. The movie Don't Worry Darling also meets the 3 elements stated by masterclass required to make a good psychological thriller. The movie has an unreliable narrator (the head of the "project"), familiar elements (a house and perfect life), and major plot twists (everything being virtual/fake). This show would also be a good choice for inspiration for my film opening.




These two pieces are only a small part of the amazing shows and movies within the genre of psychological thriller. After this research, I am sure I want to pick this genre for my film opening.



Sources - 
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-a-psychological-thriller

Image 1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_%28season_3%29

Image 2 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10731256/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

Film opening.mp4