Friday, February 17, 2023

Its all about your character!

The research from the last post kept me thinking... unreliable narrator. Unreliable narrator, unreliable narrator, unreliable narrator. Those words kept me thinking about who my character is going to be and what she/he is going to do. One thing I know for sure is that my character in the opening scene will be the unreliable narrator.

If I haven't made myself clear, I want my protagonist to be unreliable. I want the narrator/ main character to give an untrustworthy feel to the scene. The things that this character will do are irregular. I don't want the scene to be very clear. The scene will be very dark and timid. I want the opening to give the audience an uneasy feeling even though it is not very clear what is going on. The only thing that will be clear is that the character is twisted. I'm not 100% sure yet what I would like the plot to be, however, I would like to do something similar to the film Se7en.

Se7en

Se7en (Seven) is a psychological thriller film starring Brad Pitt (David Mills). The film was made in 1995 and was directed by David Fincher. On Wikipedia, it says that David Fincher is known mainly for his psychological thriller films. The film Seven is about two detectives that are trying to find a serial killer committing crimes on the "seven deadly sins". The opening of this film is very shadowy in a way; has very dim lighting and is very dark. It has very creepy music and scratching/ screeching sounds. Although the shots aren't very clear, they still give the uneasy and irregular feeling that I aspire to do in my opening film as well. The dim lighting and weird implementation that the character is doing help tie together the psychological thriller genre right away. Down below I attached the opening title sequence of the film.



I would like my character and opening to give the same feel as this one does. After watching this opening, I also decided that it is most probable that I will not be showing my character's face in the opening. I will also keep most of my shots tight to give them more tension. This film is the biggest inspiration for my film opening.

Sources:
https://letterboxd.com/film/se7en/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJkDyCdw0c&t=46s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Fincher#:~:text=David%20Andrew%20Leo%20Fincher%20(born,for%20him%20as%20Best%20Director.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

Film opening.mp4